Award winning manufacturer of IT-based building automation.
Weiser KEVO revolutionizes the door lock using smartphone and Touch-To-Open Technology
Kevo now available in Canada for pre-order, visit weiserlock.com/Kevo for more information
MISSISSAUGA, Ont.– Recognizing that smartphones have become digital extensions of the body, with 79 percent of people ages 18 - 44 having their smartphones on them for 22 hours a day, Weiser®, a business within Spectrum Brands, Hardware and Home Improvement Group (NYSE:SPB), partnered with UniKey Technologies™, Inc. (UniKey) to transform the smartphone into a key. Now available for pre-order, Kevo™ is the first deadbolt intelligent enough to communicate with a smartphone and unlock with a simple touch. This technology is so convenient that the user doesn’t even need to remove the smartphone from their pocket or purse when unlocking their door.
“Kevo is a game-changing door lock that uses modern technology and the convenience of touch to evolve the traditional key, something that has never been done before,” said Mark Wallace of Weiser.
How Kevo Works
The one-of-a-kind Bluetooth®-enabled deadbolt allows for an entirely new interface for keys, using the latest Bluetooth Low Energy™ 4.0 technology. The Kevo mobile app turns a smartphone into an electronic key (eKey) and allows the deadbolt to recognize and respond quickly to the touch of a finger, all while communicating seamlessly with the Kevo app in the background of the smartphone. For further functionality description and product benefits, please find Kevo Fact Sheet here.
“UniKey’s innovative touch-to-open system creates a platform for how we will interact with locks in the future,” said Phil Dumas, president, UniKey. “By uniquely combining existing mobile and Bluetooth technologies, we’re bringing your front door into the digital age without compromising the look or security of the lock.”
With Weiser’s long-time leadership in residential door lock security
and UniKey’s expertise in secured authentication technology, Kevo is
engineered for both maximum security and technology performance. Kevo
uses multiple levels of encryption to increase digital security, while
also being tested to some of the most stringent lock picking and
physical security standards. The lock contains Weiser’s patented
SmartKey® re-key technology, which provides superior security and
re-key convenience unlike any other smart lock on the market.
Kevo is compatible with smartphones that support Bluetooth Smart
Ready/Bluetooth 4.0 and have the Kevo mobile app installed. The app is
currently available for iPhone® 4S and 5, as well as the fifth
generation iPod® touch, third generation or higher iPad® and iPad mini.
The app will become available for additional devices, pending software
upgrades to support Bluetooth Smart Ready/Bluetooth 4.0. App
development for Android and Blackberry is currently underway.
“The launch is representative of our commitment to taking Spectrum
Brands’ hardware offerings to the next level of smart home
technologies,” said David Lumley, chief executive officer, Spectrum
Brands Holdings, Inc. “We are pushing the envelope by investing in
leading innovations that respond to consumer demands.”
Customers can pre-order their Kevo deadbolt beginning August 21 for the
suggested price of $249, with products expected to ship in October. The
Kevo smart lock package includes one deadbolt, one fob, two mechanical
keys and two smartphone eKeys available for download. The deadbolt
comes in three finishes including Satin Nickel, Venetian Bronze and
Polished Brass. Kevo is simple to install and operates on four included
AA batteries, which should last for a year, depending on usage.
To learn more about the Kevo technology, visit Weiserlock.com/kevo. High resolution images, product requests, and interviews with Weiser and UniKey executives are available upon request.
Weiser is Canada’s leading brand in residential door hardware and offers a variety of home improvement solutions for consumers and retailers. Since its start almost 110 years ago, Weiser has created innovative door hardware products that are both stylish and offer superior security. The Weiser Brilliance® anti-tarnish finish was the first finish enhancement that was truly effective in protecting your door hardware from the harsh environment. In 1996, the Powerbolt Keyless Home Access System Weiser introduced the first residential keyless lock on the market and started a powerful trend that continues today. The most recent game changing innovation introduced by Weiser was their SmartKeyTM rekey technology that allows homeowners to securely re-key their own locks in seconds, while it simultaneously enhances the high level security provided by a Weiser deadbolt. Weiser – security and innovation since 1904.
To learn more about Weiser, visit www.weiserlock.com, like it on Facebook and follow it on twitter @weiserlock.
About Spectrum Brands
HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPB). Spectrum Brands is a global, diversified consumer products company and a leading supplier of consumer batteries, residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware and faucets, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Spectrum Brands employs over 12,500 employees worldwide and sells to the top 25 global retailers with products in more than one million stores.
About UniKey Technologies
Born out of first-hand experience launching advanced biometric locking technologies to the consumer channel and opportunistic vision of mass appeal, UniKey was founded on the concept of uniquely combining existing wireless, mobile and Internet technologies to bring your front door into the digital age. UniKey has developed a proprietary and patented “touch-to-open” system that can be easily integrated into existing doors by simply replacing the current lock. No more fumbling for keys when trying to enter your home, but instead being able to securely gain access by simply touching your lock without removing your phone from pocket or purse. For more information on UniKey, please visit www.unikey.com.
Weiser KEVO revolutionizes the door lock using smartphone and Touch-To-Open Technology
The one-of-a-kind Bluetooth®-enabled Kevo deadbolt allows for an entirely new interface for keys, using the latest Bluetooth Low Energy™ 4.0 Smart technology. The Kevo mobile app turns a compatible smartphone into an electronic key (eKey). The technology allows you to simply touch your door lock, as it recognizes your eKey and unlocks (or locks) the door, without removing the smartphone from your pocket or purse.
Additionally, Kevo offers:
• Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Technology: Bluetooth 4.0 is more intelligent than previous generations, addressing the demands of today’s mobile devices while consuming minimal battery power.
• eKey: Through patent-pending touch-to-open technology developed by UniKey Technologies, Inc., a user’s smartphone acts as an electronic key (eKey) that can lock or unlock the door when the user touches the smart lock. Kevo responds to touch only if the user is authorized and has an authorized mobile device within range.
• Kevo Mobile App: Download the free mobile app from compatible smartphone app stores, such as the iPhone app store. The app is used for initial setup, sending, disabling and deleting eKeys, viewing history of lock activity, and setting up other configurable features and options of the smart lock. The Kevo App runs in the background on your device, there is no need to open the app to enter your home.
• Kevo Web Portal: Mobile app users can also access their accounts through the Kevo web portal on a computer or mobile device. The user can send, disable and delete eKeys through the portal and delete a lost or stolen smartphone from the Kevo system.
• Multiple Users: Controlling access to the home is now more convenient than ever. eKeys can be sent to family, friends and guests with Kevo-compatible smartphones. Several levels of permissions for eKeys exist inside the Kevo mobile app. The Owner and Admin eKey types have the authorization to send, disable and delete eKeys. Other eKey types have only locking and unlocking capabilities.
• Compatibility: Kevo is compatible with smartphones that support Bluetooth Smart Ready/Bluetooth 4.0 and have the Kevo mobile app installed. The app is currently available for iPhone® 4S and 5, as well as the fifth generation iPod® touch, third generation or higher iPad® and iPad mini. The app will become available for additional platforms, pending software upgrades to support Bluetooth Smart Ready/Bluetooth 4.0. App development for Android and Blackberry is currently underway.
• Fob Available for Non-Compatible Phone Users: The Kevo fob is an active Bluetooth Smart device that provides the same touch-to-open convenience as an authorized smartphone. The fob that comes with the deadbolt is pre-enrolled with the lock so no additional setup is required. The Kevo fob battery is replaceable, and additional fobs will be available for purchase.
• Notifications: The Kevo mobile app can send users smartphone notifications when the door is locked or unlocked by eKey holders. The user can choose to receive the system’s default notifications or set up custom notifications to monitor a specific eKey holder’s interaction with the lock during a specified time frame.
• History Log: A history of the lock’s activity may be viewed through the Kevo mobile app or web portal. The history log provides the times and dates that eKeys were sent and received as well as when eKey holders locked and unlocked the door.
• Audio/Visual Indicators: Kevo features visual and optional audio indicators that communicate smart lock activity and battery status to the user.
• Security Validation: Kevo provides multiple levels of advanced security and is continually reviewed by industry leading independent security experts.
• Positioning Technology: Kevo also includes UniKey’s patent-pending intelligent positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access to help prevent unauthorized entry.
• Battery Power: Kevo functions on 4 AA batteries for up to a year with normal usage, and is not reliant on your home’s power or Internet for core function. When Kevo batteries start to run low, Kevo will provide on-going indicators including visual light ring, audible, in app alerts and notifications.
• Simple Installation: Kevo was designed with simplicity in mind. Replacing a standard deadbolt requires only a single Phillips head screwdriver and less than ten minutes of installation time.
• SmartKey Re-Key® Technology: Weiser’s patented SmartKey technology provides superior security and re-keying convenience unlike any other smart lock on the market.
[Click Banner To Learn More]
[Home Page] [The Automator] [About] [Subscribe ] [Contact Us]