Articles / Previews / Reviews / Interviews
Tagging Niagara Station Components It’s time to embrace standardized tagging to
save time, achieve better outcomes
- Niagara Roadtrip to Celebrate 1M Instances
- Celebrating One Million Niagara Instances: It is Now Time to Upgrade to Keep Your Networks Healthy and Secure
- Jump into the Monday Live! Conversation
Here are some interesting pull quotes from just one show – and it
happens every week.
- Block, Tackle, Keep Moving to the Edge Ready to Rumble? Niagara Summit 2020 Registration is On!
- Cybersecurity or Something Better
The buildings industry has almost fully transitioned from pneumatic to
DDC software control. But, there is a lingering sense that software
should work reliably forever, just like the physics it replaced.
of Practice in Building Automation
I expand on what I meant by ‘Community of Practice.’
- Integration & Tagging at Bedrock Detroit
In early November, as Holiday decorations and the seasonal ice rink
were starting to go up in Downtown Detroit, in a meeting arranged by
Cochrane Supply’s Monika Lubas, Therese Sullivan, Tridium’s Customer
Marketing Leader, traveled to the top of one of Woodward Avenue’s
renovated 19th Century buildings to meet Joe Pattenaude, Director of
Building Systems at Bedrock, a full-service real estate firm
specializing in acquiring, developing, leasing, financing, and managing
commercial and residential buildings. Here is the conversation that
- Niagara Edge 10 Beta Customers Give the GO Sign to Wide Rollouts
- When Will Smart Buildings Make Hearts Sing? The world is awaiting the Smart Building that can make an emotional connection to those living and working inside.
- Platforms & Trusting in Las Vegas Observations and Lessons Learned from Realcom-IBcon 2018.
- Semantic Tagging Passes an Inflection Point There
was no pushback from any company regarding the need to support
standardized tagging. They are either already doing it, or it is top on
their roadmap. They all understand this is where the industry is
- Niagara Summit 2018 - Playing All the Right Notes
- What is Your Haystack Tagging Story?
Contact me soon because the issue is already in development and will be
published in early June 2018.
- Shaking Value Chains and Channeling New
Voices in BAS What are 15+ IoT partner value chains trying to
conjure up? They want Cortana, Alexa or Siri in our walls telling us
everything that needs attention in our buildings.
- Can Your Buildings Go from Bad to Great
like the USS Benfold? A question asked and
answered at this year’s KMC Genius Summit.
- Systems Thinking is the Defining Feature of Sustainable Design
Peering at the world of Smart Buildings, Smart Grid, Smart Cities and
Industry 4.0 through a Silicon Valley lens. I’m for open protocols and
- What's Happening at the Edge of IT/OT Convergence
Includes an interview with Jason Shepard, Dell Technologies Director of IoT
- Smart Campus IoT Success Strategies from Realcomm’s CoREtech 2017
- Where are Global Energy Initiatives Taking Us? The
next quantum leap in building energy efficiency will come from
optimizing at a systems level. The Systems Efficiency Initiative was
formed in 2015 to move the whole industry. - Clay Nesler, VP Global
Energy and Sustainability, Johnson Controls & Therese Sullivan,
Principal, BuildingContext Ltd
- The Wouda, Couda, and OODA of Building
Performance Data Engineering As part of the Project Haystack open-source community, I’m learning
that small can equal big, and less can be more, and that ‘big data’
engineers and ‘building performance data engineers’ have important but
different roles in the coming era of the IoT and machine learning.
- Your Buildings’ 21st Century Edge
What are the takeaway lessons here regarding how edge analytics
controllers will disrupt the current building industry? - Alper
Üzmezler, BASSG LLC. & Therese Sullivan, Principal, BuildingContext Ltd
- Highlights from Realcomm-IBcon San Diego The Fear-of-Missing-Out was intense.
- Haystack Connect and IoT World Set Foot on Common Ground
From Saddlebrook to Silicon Valley, everyone is talking about using
data to bring order, efficiency and transparency to the operational
challenges of running buildings.
- Operational Analytics, Cyber Security Tools & the Deming Way
Today’s operational analytics, cyber security tools, and other business
intelligence software are all ‘grandchildren’ of the statistical
process control charts made popular by Deming.
- Will DevOps Culture Come to Smart Buildings?
You could say that they’ve embraced the DevOps philosophy of ‘turning
the power struggle with IT into the power of collaboration.
- BASSG Open Sources Project Builder
Plus Paves Fast Track to
Uzmezler Explains Expansion into Edge Devices and ML
Anka Labs’ goal is to breathe new life into buildings through the
deployment of edge analytics controllers and related innovations. -
Alper Uzmezler and Therese Sullivan
How 2016 CTA-Goers Made It Their Night The CTAs have become an important night for many, and serve a variety of community-building functions.
- The Label Maker...is You Appreciating How Metadata Makes AI Possible
- Darwin and the Dynamism of an Open Source Community at Work
Darwin is a good reminder of what it takes to survive times of
upheaval, uncertainty, and challenge.
- Playing Metadata Tag "U R it.
Brick Schema builds on the concept of tags from Project Haystack and
enriches the schema with an underlying ontology that crystallizes the
concepts defined by the tags…
- The Story Threads to Follow as Smart Buildings Enter a New Year
The storyline that emerged in 2016 offered new clues and revealed
- Today’s Smart Building Data Exhaust May Be Tomorrow’s Machine-Learning Gold Smart
Building Owners should remain vigilant in the battle against vendor
lock-in of their building data.
- Climate Action, Digitalization and the Opportunity to Reenergize the
Buildings Industry Climate laws and agreements are being enacted,
and big building technology companies like Siemens are positioning to
come out heroes with even healthier businesses.
- San Diego Padres Deploy IoT Edge Gateways to Monitor and Save Water and Energy in Ballpark
Qualcomm Edge Intelligent solutions and OSIsoft PI System help monitor
Petco Park facilities in real-time to improve efficiencies and maximize
the value of their current infrastructure.
- When Will Machine Learning Reach Smart
Buildings? There is a Mount Olympus-like battle over Machine
Learning dominance happening among Tech Titans. Smart Buildings and the
IoT exist in the weather created by that battle. - Alper Üzmezler,
BASSG LLC. & Therese Sullivan, BuildingContext Ltd
- Data Flow Will Mirror Air Flow in the Era of Hybrid Edge Controllers One
affordable, flexible device that can
serve as either a global controller or a field DDC will go a long way
to better HVAC system designs. - Alper Üzmezler, BASSG LLC. &
Therese Sullivan BuildingContext Ltd
Silicon Valley Recap Measuring momentum in Intelligent
- Applying All the Laws of 3 to See the Future of Smart Buildings
Edge Control Will Shift BAS-Industry Focus Toward People and
- A Legoland for the IoT Maker
They have low-cost compute devices like Arduino and Raspberry Pi as
well as affordable sensors (accelerometers, gyroscopes, magnetometers,
GPS, temperature, etc).
- Open Source is the New Marketing- Part 2
Participation in open source communities can be a vector into the
buying process. You need people on your marketing team capable of
engaging with developers.
- Open Source is the New Marketing
Developers that participate in open-source communities benefit from the
opportunity to ‘try before you buy.’
- How Will the IoT Create More Intelligent Buildings?
With an IoT-enabled intelligent building, you can build any service to
bring old processes into the 21st century. Your imagination is really
the only limitation. - Dragan Boscovic, CEO, VizLore
- Death of the Controls Industry
Be brave and ask for something truly open that provides you with access
- Project-Haystack Connections E-zine Launches
New digital publication keeps communications for and about
Project-Haystack adopters flowing and serves as a starter kit for any
organization that wants to get on board.
- Crisis of Conscience SF Tech Contemplates its Relationship to Real World Industries
- The Way Forward from Paris is Via Automated M&V
Investment dollars to transform commercial building energy wasters into
high performers are there, but won’t be tapped until bankers are
confident in the measurement and verification of savings.
- Six New Routes to Market for Smart Building Technology
You may feel that you keep hitting a brick wall trying to convince some
customers to adopt data analytics strategies for better building
performance. But, 'take heart,' the route to Smart Building success may
be just around the next turn. - Anno Scholten, President, Connexx
Energy & Therese Sullivan, Principal, BuildingContext Ltd
- CoRE Tech’s Silicon Valley Message: ‘Just Do It.’
- Of Pitchforks and Haystacks
So now I’ve been an observer of this market long enough to see hype
become reality — albeit with some changes to the who, when and how.
- Data Centers Reach Toward Operational Excellence Guided by Predictive Analytics
Operational Data from Real-time Monitoring Makes the Difference between
a Simulated Approximation and Reliable Decision Support
- Navigating the New Landscape of Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Microgrids
Spaces: Where Everything is in a Name
Last month, Toby Considine closed his column with an invitation to meet
him in Northern California in mid-September, where he was speaking at
the TechIntersection conference. I seized that opportunity to
interview Toby on the topic of "the semantic web."
- Buildings Internet of Things Architecture “Hats Off” to the Realcomm team and to the Intelligent Buildings
industry that they represent. They nailed the architecture for the
Buildings Internet of Things (B-IoT) about 24 months before the big IT
brands at the core of the IIC — Cisco, Intel, IBM, GE — offered theirs.
- Solar Panel Analysis
Demonstrating the power of building operational analytics to keep
unattended distributed power systems functioning as intended.
- Has Project Haystack Moved the Building IoT Across the Chasm?
Has support for standardization efforts like BACnet and Project
Haystack naming/tagging taxonomy grown to the point that it is
providing a pathway for data-driven building operations technologies
across the Chasm?
- Vibrant Ecosystem Ups the Value of a Building's IoT Platform
How applications and services from partners like BASSG add to the
strength of the SkySpark™ platform, supporting data analytics project
teams through the whole cycle from data aggregation to action.
- Davis California Revs Ahead in Utility-Side Data Analytics UC Davis Utilities is now engaged in an energy load disaggregation
project that combines research, operations and public-facing mobile and
- Realcomm 2015: Feel Secure in Your Discomfort and Excitement. It Means You’re Listening.
- The Mockingjay in Nest
Exploring the dystopian side of Venture Capitalitist-led Silicon
Valley, where the culture has us rooting for young start-ups, until we
- Last Month in the Automation Ballet In just the last few weeks there were
some notable announcements about automation and machine learning coming
from all corners.
- Round Up the Right Data, Not the Usual Suspects
- Enterprise Computing Landscape
Will Building Operations and Facilities Provide Video Chat Apps a First
- Considering Collaboration Platforms for Your Whole-Building Hub “Lots
of people are trying to 'solve' email… Maybe the solution will be that
everyone who uses email will die off.” Ben Evans, Analyst,
- The Cutting-Edge of IoT
How does the IoT really change the future of commercial building
- Where do Whole-Building Analytics Fit in the Energy Professional's Toolkit?
The need for building energy analysis is growing, the talent pool of
building energy experts is limited. New whole-building energy
performance assessment tools are one way technology innovators are
trying to fill the gap.
- Taps Open for Energy Efficiency Retrofits
And it's up to System Integrators, Equipment Operators and Facilities
Managers to make the new financing models based on energy savings work.
- BuildingContext I called my marketing agency BuildingContext
because it captured in two words what I wanted to do — bring some
context to the crowded and noisy smart building marketplace.
- How do you Spell IoT for Smart Buildings?
The backdrop today is the huge IT-sponsored IoT marketing and awareness
campaign, which would have you believe that Smart Building Analytics
are an IT invention.
- DGLux5 Training Hop Aboard the Future Express
- Sound Bites, Surprises and Solid Advice from the Smart Building Integrator Summit (SBIS) at IBcon 2014
Their common message was that open-architected, interoperable building
automation systems (BAS) are at the nucleus of the next phase of
- IIoT Middleware Choices DDS middleware poised to gain traction for the Industrial Internet of Things
- 15 Years in the Collaboratory Why It Was Time for a Timeline
- IoT Opens to Mobile Messaging Standards the Direction
is toward Open Standards
- A New Data Superhighway Out of Thin Air
Wi-Fi at Gigabyte speeds Changes the Game in Wireless Infrastructure as
Networking Enters an Accelerated Innovation Phase.
- Mobile Network Operators (MNO) & Building Automation Are Mobile Operators Eyeing
Building Automation as their next M2M Vertical - You Can Bet on It!
- A Question of Gravity Who Owns the Future of
Smart Buildings and Cities?
- What is a Security Fabric? And Who is Afraid of Not Having One?
- Disruptive Innovation makes Cloud Era Possible
The world lacks a building automation and control ontology
Corporate communications, content marketing, demand generation, social
media, press and analyst relations, enterprise vertical industry
Deep Domain Knowledge: Data Management, Data Analytics, Data
Security, Data Center Energy Efficiency, Wireless Networking Solutions,
Software-as-a-Service, AEC (architecture, engineering, construction)
Marketing, Building Automation, Intelligent Buildings, High Performance
Buildings, Facilities Management, Smart Grid, Lighting Control, CAD and
BIM (Building Information Management) solutions.
Premium Content Specialties: Customer case studies, product
information, email campaigns, webinar content, video scripts,
whitepapers, and competitive analyses.
Strategic strengths: messaging, persona profiling, go-to-market
planning, content curation, executive-level customer interviews. Adept
at contextualizing, actively listening, storytelling. Familiar with
Marketing Automation methods used to measure the ROI of content and the
conversion of traffic to leads.
[Click Banner To